Even though Windows 8 and 10 offer an entire overhaul of the main features and various improvements, there is still a chance you could face a few issues. One of them is the “Default gateway is not available” problem.
This message means that there’s an issue with your Internet connection. It might get dropped often, or it could disappear entirely.
There are many reasons why this happens – it could be a McAfee product or an outdated auto log-on feature. Your network adapter drivers could also be out-of-date.
The first step is to power-cycle your router. Turn the router off, and even your modem if the router is connected to the ISP’s modem. Wait five minutes. Afterward, you can turn them on again. If it didn’t work, then you can follow some of these methods.
FIX #1: Remove McAfee programs
- Navigate to Control Panel/ Programs.
- Look for Programs & Features.
- Find McAfee programs and remove them all.
You could also use the shortcut by pressing the Windows key and R at the same time. That will open a run dialog where you can type appwiz.cpl.
If this method works, then you should install alternative programs. However, try to stay away from McAfee.
FIX #2: Disable Auto Log-on
For some reason, the Auto Log-on feature on Windows 8/10 can also lead to the “Default gateway” issue. Nevertheless, the solution is simple.
Even though you cannot disable it completely, you can assign passwords to the user accounts. That will fix the issue because the log-on feature will not get activated when you turn on your device.
If you don’t want to forget your passwords, you should create simple ones. You can also create hints. And, if you switch from a Local Account to a Microsoft one, you will be able to reset your password, in case you forget it.
FIX #3: Network adapter: update the drivers
- Go to the Device Manager and look for Network adapters. Double-click on them.
- Find the one you are using and right-click on it. Select “Update Driver Software”.
- Choose “Search automatically for updated driver software”.
If it shows that your drivers are up-to-date (in that case, there won’t be any results), it could be a false negative result. Therefore, you should install a driver update utility program which will allow you to see whether or not your drivers are updated.
However, even if the program says that everything’s up-to-date, you should also visit the official website and search for the latest version of the driver.
Given the fact that you are having trouble with your Internet connection, it will probably disappear before you get a chance to update the driver. In that case, you should do the following:
- Find Windows Troubleshooter.
- Select Network and Internet/ Internet connection/ Next/ Troubleshoot my Internet connection.3. Follow the steps until the end.
That will allow you to have a somewhat stable connection until you install the update. If it doesn’t work, you can use a different computer to download the latest version. Afterward, transfer it to a DVD or a USB and install it on your device.
FIX #4: Network adapter: update the drivers
This method can also solve the issue. However, don’t worry – it won’t affect your device. Windows will detect the changes, and it will reinstall the drivers after the reboot.
- Find Device Manager and double-click on Network Adapters.
- Find the one you are using and uninstall it.
- Restart your device.
FIX #4 – Network adapter: change the drivers
This is a popular method that should fix the issue immediately. All you have to do is change the network adapter you are currently using. Here are the instructions:
- Find Device Manager and open Network Adapters.
- Find the one you are using and update it.
- Choose “Browse my computer for driver software”.
- Left-click on “Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer”
- Untick the “Show compatible hardware”.
- If the adapter’s name is “Broadcom 802.11a Network Adapter”, select “Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter” instead and vice versa.
If this doesn’t help, or if you are using a different network adapter, you should just keep changing the device driver until you find the one that doesn’t have the “Default gateway is not available” issue.